Sunday, December 16, 2012

the truth about mental illness

This kid who shot 20 children to death is being perceived as having a mental illness.

Let me tell you what I know to be true about mental illness.  Mental illness has a million symptoms unlike a cough due to cold.  Some traits of mental illness can be hereditary.  In the cases that have personally affected my life, mental illness has been the result of a traumatic event.

I suffer from anxiety disorder.  I developed anxiety disorder as a result of a series of traumatic events.  I sought help for my condition (therapy, exercise & drugs) and now I am using alternative healing therapies.  I don't know if I'll ever be fully healed but at least I'm on the way.  Plus with Ethan by my side unconditionally, I know I'm not alone.


Violent video games didn't happen to Adam Lanza.  He didn't just play a few levels of Call Of Duty & pick up a bunch of guns.  Something happened to this kid that pushed him to a mental state where he thought the only way out was to pick up a gun.  Maybe he was bullied.  Maybe his family abandoned him.  Either way, he needed help.  If Adam had someone he could count on, those children would be alive today.

If you or someone you know might suffer from some form of mental illness, GET HELP.  The time has  come to stop the asinine stigmas that surround mental illness.  All you media outlets have to stop portraying people who have mental illnesses as batshit crazy.  Treat others how you want to be treated instead of treating others how you see fit.