Tuesday, February 10, 2009

le chômage part deux

Right now I'm listening to Alanis.  Not Alanis Morrissette but Alanis... as in Alanis' self-titled album from 1991.  Took me forever to find it but I did and it's great!

My dear friend Luciana came to see me this past weekend and we had a great catchup.  Luci and I have been friends since high school... come to think of it she's the only person I still talk to from high school.   Everyone else is for later.   So she told me something really interesting about looking for a job:

'Advertised jobs are like houses on the market.  If they were really great houses then they wouldn't have to advertise because they would have been taken already.  Same goes for jobs on the market.  Sometimes they are jobs that are really hard to fill because the job itself actually sucks and they have to sell the opportunity to some poor sucker...'

Okay, so that last part was my interpretation of Luciana's words. I'm sure over the last several years I have been privileged to have some pretty sucky jobs.  I'm really not a sucker for bad jobs but I also seem to be a magnet for them.   

Now here's the fun part - not only must I find work so I can have money to live, I also have the task to find a job that doesn't suck.  I keep hearing these stories about people in jobs who have the most crackheaded coworkers of all time.   Why do people turn into complete douchebags upon entering the workplace?  Are they just douchebags all the time?  Do douchebags marry other douchebags and have little douchebags and do douchebag things?  Is it too much to ask for a bit of sense?

Apparently so.