Wednesday, August 19, 2009

let's hear it for the boy

Is it wrong that I have a boyfriend instead of a job? Yes, you read correctly. I am off the market. Now I'm wondering when our anniversary is going to be... is it our first date? The day we had the final status check? The first time we made toast? I really don't know. Either way, I'm really happy. Ethan is a great catch. He actually understands me and he supports me. Props to Steve Harvey's book Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man - every woman needs to read this book. Hands down this book is the best dating reference out there because it makes the most sense.

In other news, my job search has taken an interesting turn. A few weeks ago I had to write 4 (count'em - four!?) aptitude tests for a job that paid less than 30K. I've tried talking to my friends about this and the general consensus is that I 'should' (therapist told me that the word 'should' is a bad one) get a meantime job until I find a better one. Grrr. That 30K rubbish was a meantime job for Chrissakes! I still haven't heard from them and that was almost a month ago. Just this past Monday I went for an interview for another meantime job... 20 minutes in they tell me that I would be doing a disservice to myself in an admin assistant role. They also told me to pursue HR roles in multinationals and not to settle for anything less.

Why is this such a difficult thing for everyone to understand? I will not settle. End of. Sure, it's not cool being on the dole however I'd rather do that then hop from job to job to job. I did enough of that in Toronto. Sometimes I even wonder how I can get away with having 8 jobs in 7 years. I'd much rather take time and find a good fit for me where I can stay there and experience this crazy thing called stability. I took a meantime job once and I felt like utter crap - I had a job to pay the bills and nothing else. I couldn't really do anything fun like go on holiday because all my money went to pay bills. I know that is not how I envisioned my life when I finished school; I wanted a great career and an even better quality of life. I still want that almost a decade later. On pain of death I will not yield!