Saturday, May 28, 2011

this revolution sure ain't gonna be televised

I never heard of Gil Scott-Heron before today but I'm loving his song "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised".  May he rest in peace.

I want to be credited with starting a revolution of my own.  Broke folks, rise up!  Not being employed does not make you part of the scum echelons of society.  Unemployment does not mean you have lost all capability of cognitive & complex thought.  Living on a budget still means you deserve respect.  There is such a stigma about being a statistic and I'm here to say that today, that stigma has died because I killed it.  We all can kill it and make it stay dead!  Why is it that one is perceived to be better off working for a pittance than collecting EI?  Yes, right now I'm collecting EI.  I've been paying into it for almost twenty years.  Sure, I'm not looking for a job at the moment.  Wanna know why?  I'm finding Athena.  I'm healing my mind, body & soul.  So step off if you think I'm not a contributing member of society.  I'd rather have my health than be broken from the inside out.

Join me in this revolution.  I can tell you how to thrive while being broke.  I've been through it all - downsizing, firing, illness, eviction, bankruptcy; yet I found the love of my life while I was unemployed.  I'll show you how to make the most of your severance package.  I'll let you know when the essentials are on sale so you can keep your head above water.  Broke folks are not down & out - we're on a time out from life.

Fear not retribution!  Your bank balance does not define you!  Your employer does not define you nor your lifestyle!  Life will go on!