Saturday, July 26, 2008

cumulonimbus clouds

Last year I was considering moving to England.  I always enjoyed traveling there - the sights, the shopping, the food... why not?  I wouldn't have to deal with snow anymore and rain doesn't pile up all over the sidewalk.  After much consideration, I decided against it.  My home and my path are here in Toronto.  I'd miss the seasons way too much.  It is commonly known that a lot of rain falls in England and I'm here to tell you it's true.  The last time I was there it rained 4 times in 7 days & that's not counting the intermittent hailstorms and fleeting moments of sunshine.  

Then again, I'm getting a great taste of jolly ol' England right about now.   What the blank is up with all this rain?  I'm very confident I'm developing Seasonal Affective Disorder since the beginning of July.  Oh, don't be all weird about it - we all are a few Timbits short of a Snack Pack in our own way.

As I'm staring out the window, I can see this massive cumulonimbus cloud.  These are the clouds that make up thunderstorms, which is something else we've been getting a lot of lately.  It's quite a view, I must say.  It looks very majestic from here - like there's supposed to be some deity that lives within the cloud itself.  A few hours ago there was a thundershower but now it's sunny - thank the deities that exist for that.

This is not just about the weather as I'm sure you can check out The Weather Network for that.  It's more about how I feel about rain.  As a child, I was terrified of lightning & thunderstorms. Every time it happened,  I would run into my parents' bedroom with my fake Care Bear in tow. At one point they considered taking me to a child psychologist because my fear was so intense but once I started to display gifted reading talents at school they figured I would grow out of it. I don't know that I really have because to this day they still make me nervous.  As for the gifted stuff, well, maybe.  I'm no Doogie Howser but I'm also not an idiot (contrary to previous employers' beliefs).

On my 19th birthday, I had a high school track & field (I think they've changed the name to athletics) meet.  The sky looked quite threatening by the time we got there however I did remember to pack my rain gear just in case.  By the time I ran the 100m final it had started raining and better still, it was around 3-5 degrees Celsius.  My next event was the 100m hurdles. Keep in mind all I'm wearing is this skimpy tank top & running shorts in my school's colours.  I get to the starting line and take a look at the track before me - covered in 3cm of snow.  Yes folks, snow.  After that meet, I developed pneumonia for 3 weeks. My coach was livid because I was also on the 4x100m relay team and couldn't train but hey, it's not my fault that I had liquid in my lungs, right?  I tried going back to school but I passed out in math class so they sent me home.  That's when my abhorrence for rain began.  Actually, it might have been when a boy in my grade 8 class threw a nightcrawler in my face... shudder.

Rain is so dreary, wet and miserable.  Rain makes my hair all messed up and that bugs me.  Rain makes the worms crawl out of the sidewalk.  Rain cancels outdoor events and forces the masses to fashion rain coverings out of just about anything as they run for shelter.  Since I have so much time on my hands, I've done some thinking about this type of precipitation and you know what?  It's really not so bad after all - as long as I'm indoors, of course.

Without rain, the city would look like tundra.  Trees would look like cans of smashed apples.  Flowers wouldn't bloom, etc, etc.  So really, it's a temporary crappy situation essential to make things better.  It's raining in my life right now.  I have to believe that once the rain stops, my life will begin to bloom again.