Wednesday, July 30, 2008

decisions, decisions

My day started around 11am this morning.   Can you believe it?  I haven't slept in that late in years!  I didn't even party it up last night!

So I start looking over my financial picture and then it hits me - in the next few days, I have a big decision to make.  Once I get my next chunk of government cheese I can either pay rent for August on time or spend some of that money to buy groceries and pay my rent late.  What's it gonna be, Athena?  Food or shelter?

Never did it cross my mind that I would ever have to make a choice like this.  My first inclination was to pay rent so it would be on time for the 1st time in 4 months however despite all these shenanigans, my rent does eventually get paid.  Besides, it's not like I don't have food... I do but I just don't know how long it will be able to sustain me since these days I'm eating myself out of house & home.  It's a good thing I know how to cook because if I didn't, I'd be in big trouble.

What about using that money to buy food?  That's always an option.  Of course it's important to sustain myself and stay somewhat healthy.  I could stand to lose a few pounds so technically I could just buy a few heads of romaine lettuce and have myself a party.  I could even pay a few bills off with that money.

Back in the winter I saw this commercial about this family having to decide to either pay the heating bill or buy food.  That's unfathomable to me at this point.  I'm sure they didn't elect to be in that predicament.  Maybe in my case I chose this path.  Maybe this path was inevitable because I needed time to figure myself out.  While I figure myself out (which is still an ongoing project), I have to come to a decision.

Food or shelter.  Shelter or food.  Can I have both?  Truth be told, I'm not all that sure.  I feel like this decision is a test to see if I have indeed 'grown up' at all throughout this whole ordeal.  Is there a right or wrong option here?  Would I be wrong to choose shelter over food?  Better yet, would I be foolish to choose food over shelter?

As you can tell, I have no idea what I'm going to do.   The long weekend is coming up and guess who's got a date with her PVR?  Yes, that would be me.   The Caribana parade is on Saturday and as much as I would love to get some saltfish & bake, I might have to just make it myself.   

Hey world, if you were me, what would you do?  Would you pick food or shelter?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.