Monday, July 28, 2008

my sneaky feelings are always right

Lately I've noticed that my gut feelings have been spot on.  I never used to trust my gut - I would always go with the decision that I thought was the best one or the one I really wanted to come to pass.  Within the last year or so I've learned to trust my gut feeling.  Call it women's intuition or something more poetic... I call my gut Wilbur.

Wilbur and I have a wonderful relationship.  We grow together as life moves on.  These days you can't miss Wilbur - he's the first thing you see when I walk by.  He brings me comfort during my monthly rage blackouts and sage advice when I'm faced with a particular situation.  Wilbur is my shelter from the storm of life (sniffle).

Most people don't pay too much attention to their intuition.  I do believe we all have it to an extent.  For me, it's like a feeling that something just isn't right.  Most of the time it's indescribable but it's there.  

A few years back I went out with this guy to a jam at a club downtown.  I had a sneaky feeling it wasn't going to be a good evening but I went ahead with it anyway.  When he came to pick me up he looked almost green - mostly because I towered over him in my 3" stilettos.  We get to the club and it was jumpin' jumpin'!  I met up with some friends and immediately proceeded to the dance floor.  After a few songs, I found my date in a corner nursing a Molson Canadian.  I asked him if he was having a good time and he said no (the audacity!) because he just saw his ex with her new man and he still wasn't quite over it and asked to go home.  I was full & ready to tell him check ya later but of course, he left his car keys in my apartment.  Blast!  We had been at the club for a grand total of 30 minutes.  Had I listened to my gut I would've either just gone to this jam myself or left him to his own devices.

Remembering that fateful evening is making me snicker right now because I went on to date this poor soul.  Yet again, I didn't have a good feeling about the relationship but silly Athena went ahead with it anyway.  Of course, it all ended in heartbreak.  He broke up with me then wanted me back and I told him no blankin' way.  For once I heeded the advice of my gut!

These days my gut and I find ourselves by ourselves.  We're ok for the most part.  We're still unemployed & we're still benefactors of government cheese.  I trust my gut more than ever these days.  It's one of the few constants in my life at the moment.  No matter where I end up, Wilbur will always be there to comfort me.  Now all he & I have to do is shape ourselves up!