Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Meet Athena Titanides

I've never had a blog before and I don't actually know if there are any rules to this sort of thing.  If there are, I'm out.  Read on if you like - if not, I do hope whatever else you're doing gives you sustained satisfaction.

First things first.  My name is Athena Titanides.  I'm a curvy 31 year old woman living in Toronto.  I'm educated and currently unemployed.  I know there's a ton of people in my situation and I just want to say to you all - LET'S STAND TOGETHER!  Only now I am actually able to discuss my tale of woe in an open forum.  Besides, it gives me something to do during the day while I ponder my sudden economic downturn.

I grew up in Southwestern Ontario to a non-Greek family.  As soon as I was physically able, I ran as far away from there as possible to attend Laurentian University.  Brrr.  Four years later I decided to reneg on my $40,000 education and pursue a save-the-world career in Human Resources.   So human is this profession that my resources sit untapped... kinda like this thermal energy option I saw the other day on Global News.

Since the spring I've been a statistic.  Granted, it was by choice; I chose not to succumb to the continued daily vituperation of my boss who, incidentally, holds an Ph.D. in picomanagement.  Back then I thought I would let karma do its thing and that person would get their due.  Now I'm a warrior for karmic justice!  Maybe that's why my name is Athena - she was a bad-ass mutha who won't take no crap off of nobody!

Did you know I was going to write a book?  It was going to be about corporate life and how it affects so many other elements of the rest of our lives.  You might disagree but think about this: Ever come home from a crappy day at work and felt, well, crappy?  Then you go to bed feeling crappy.  You wake up to start your crappy day all over again.  Perpetual crap is no way to live.  

So now what, you ask? I'm going to tell it like it is.  This blog isn't about some kind of Chicken Soup for the Soul story that's happened to me.  My story is the same as millions of others.  Maybe you can identify with me and maybe you can't.  Maybe you think I should get off my duff and do something about it.  Maybe you want to tell your story as well.  Either way, it's up to you.