Tuesday, March 24, 2009

love, love, love

Steve Harvey was on Tyra this morning and he was talking about his new book "Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man".  He had some really valid points and I have to say that out of all the dating books I've read (believe you me I've read a LOT) this one seems to make the most sense.  
A buddy of mine insists that I'm way too 'picky' and my standards are too high.  I tried lowering them once and I ended up with a pile of crap.  So I went back to my buddy and told him flat out that my standards are going right back up to where they were.  Why should I settle for crap?  I don't deserve crap.  I think I speak for all womankind when I say there is something to be said to want and wait for quality.  I do believe there are good guys out there so as a woman, I just have to keep the faith.

There were times when I thought I knew what I wanted in a man and now they seem quite silly - things like nice body, backside and face; good job, etc.  Now that I'm older and somewhat wiser I think my standards have evolved.  I'm sure you're burning with curiosity now so here goes - Athena's Must-Haves:
  1. My man has to be attractive to me.  Sure, this sounds superficial and shallow but you all know it's true.  It's what you notice first about a person.  It's also what you keep noticing about them as time goes on.  Doesn't matter if others don't find him attractive (that used to be important to me but now I don't care) however I must.
  2. My man must have a plan.  Sounds contradictory to my current state of affairs yet everyone knows that a man with a plan is really hot.  Really.
  3. My man has to love me.  End of.  I'm not a woman to be part of a collection of women to choose from - I am the one for someone.  
  4. My man needs to be chivalrous.  He has to want to look out for me no matter the situation.  I know I have to learn to let someone take care of me since I'm so used to taking care of myself - my man needs to be willing to be patient with me so I can learn to let people help me.
  5. My man ought to understand that I like sports.  Your one eyebrow may be raised at this point in wonder yet I have had guys run for the hills because I knew what a two-minute warning was.  Whatever.  Your nads will not shrink because of my knowledge of sport.  
  6. My man will be able to express himself.  I want someone who I can talk to about everything - from current issues of the day to Survivor recaps to emotions & feelings.  
None of these sound like too much to ask... at least to me anyway.  Ladies, listen to Athena when she speaks - there is absolutely nothing wrong with having high standards.  We deserve it!

A lot of time has passed since I was in a relationship... Ian seemed like a good idea at first then he left much to be desired.  I'm ready now to meet someone who's the total package.  Cupid, show your stuff!  I'll keep you all updated on my romantic exploits as right now, there's nothing to report.