Wednesday, June 3, 2009

let's play "Sotomayor says"

I've been curious about this Sotomayor person I keep hearing about on the news.  So here's what I found out:

Her name is Sonia Sotomayor and she was recently nominated to the US Supreme Court.  In 2001 she made a speech and she said,

I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life.

This is what people seem to be losing their minds about.  Seriously??  When I saw this I thought, good gravy, Fox News has nothing better to report on.   What if she left out the "white" part and just said male?  Would she be labelled as a man-hater?  Come on, folks - let it go.  Why not try reporting on something meaningful... like how a haircut in Zimbabwe costs 1 trillion Zimbabwean dollars which is the equivalent of $3 USD.