Sunday, April 12, 2009

the greatest story ever told

I got a miracle today, no word of a lie.  

Aunt Marion called to wish me Happy Easter.  I also wished her a Happy Easter, even though I don't believe in it since this holiday was originally designed to worship sun gods of yesteryear and it's also a great time to eat heaps of chocolate... where was I?  Yes - my Aunt Marion.  She told me to sit down because she had a story to tell me that would blow my mind.

One thing about my aunt is that she's really religious.  That's okay with me - everyone is entitled to their beliefs, right?  So she's at 8am mass and she's sitting next to this elderly gentleman whilst giving her devotional (I think this also means testify... I don't really know for sure but testifying sounds like a lot of fun).  She talked about how she wanted to reach out to her Titanides family and the only one that would respond was me and for that, she was thankful.  Aunt Marion went on to say how I lost my job and I wasn't doing too well so she sent me a Benjamin to help out.  This man must've felt moved by Aunt Marion's devotional... so much so that he asked Aunt Marion to hold out her hand.  This man - who is barely known to my Aunt and a random stranger to me - put a $100 bill in Aunt Marion's hand and told her to send it to me in Canada.

You read correctly - one hundred dollars.   That works out to $122.74 according to the Bank of Canada as of last Thursday.  Aunt Marion is going to send it to me so I might get it by the end of this week.  

I had tears in my eyes as I listened to my aunt's story.  Here was this perfect stranger - someone who I likely will never meet in my lifetime - willing to help me out while my supposed family turned their backs on me, even to this day.  There is a man somewhere in Queens with a smile on his face because on this day, he made a difference.  He gave because he thought it was the right thing to do.  Aunt Marion told me to thank (Sun) God for it.  I'm here to say thanks - to what I call higher power.  It's out there, kids.  It's looking out for me.  

As a Easter treat, peep this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ-kvw1fYXs