Thursday, April 16, 2009

thirty-two years on

I sit here waiting for my pizza to arrive.  My buzzer doesn't work very well so I have to silence everything in my house to make sure I don't miss it.  That's why Survivor is on pause... just after Coach told this outlandish story about being captured in the Amazon.  Shrug.

Today, incidentally, is my birthday.  Thirty-two years ago my parents gave birth to a baby girl named Athena.  I'd love to say that the world was forever changed but that would be too egregious of me, wouldn't you say?  I have indulged on this birthday.  I spent a fortune at Simons the other day.  Plus I've eaten a ton today which will be capped off by pizza, fried chicken & chips (as soon as it arrives, which I hope is soon because I'm getting hungry).  It's okay for today because it's my birthday and this is the one day out of the year where I can indulge (read: get fat).

This day felt more grown-up than any other b-day I've had.  It's my first b-day in Montreal for starters.  It was a beautiful day - sunny, no clouds, increased UV index... I couldn't ask for a better day.  In some ways I feel more mature and in other ways I don't.  I went to pick out paint samples this afternoon and now they're all over my apartment.  In years past I'd be wasted by now.  I know that my tastes are evolving just as I'm evolving into adult Athena.  I guess it's not a bad thing now that I think about it.  

Life isn't meant to be the same all the time.  We all get comfortable in a routine and when that changes for whatever reason, we panic and long for that comfortable feeling we had.  One thing I strongly believe in this that everything happens for a reason.  My own life is changing and since I've never had a situation that brought me comfort so now I welcome change.  I know that I'm being led in a direction I've never been in before... daunting as that sounds, I'm fine with it. 

Praise the Sun, my pizza is here.