Friday, August 8, 2008

eight, eight, eight

The opening ceremonies for the Olympics were amazing!  Yes, I actually got out of bed at 7am this morning to watch it live on CBC.  When I was a kid, I loved watching the Olympics.  I marveled at the fact that these teeny-tiny nations would proudly march into the Olympic stadium with so much pride for their country and passion for their sport.  I especially love the countries where the lone athlete is holding the flag and a couple of coaches are walking behind.  Yet, the Olympic dream is the same no matter where you go.  Every athlete, regardless of where they come from or what kind of reindeer games their leaders are up to, wants to compete in good faith.  You can't beat that.  

Best of all, the opening ceremonies officially started at 8:08pm on 08/08/08.  The Chinese believe the number 8 is a very auspicious number as it symbolizes prosperity and wealth.  My lucky number is 8 and my numerology life path number is 8.  Last year after 07/07/07 I was looking forward to this very day in hopes that this day would change my life forever.  Something would happen to set me on the correct path.

Did that happen?  Well, sort of.

In some ways, I am already changed.  These last few months have opened my eyes to who I really am and what I'm looking for out of life.  As a teenager, I knew that I wasn't going to lead a 'normal' life... you know, graduate from university, work for 30+ years at a fly job and head out to greener pastures.  I just knew that I would make a living doing something different.  Living off Harper's cheddar is certainly different but why is it I just know that this is temporary?  My gut is telling me there are things out there for me - things that have yet to be discovered; hopefully by the time the cheese runs out.  Then I'm really screwed.

Either way, I felt lucky today.  I have faith that my broke self will be broke no longer.  I'll find my life's calling.  Wouldn't it be funny if my life's calling was writing blogs?  I wouldn't mind at all - I do enjoy it!  

On the other hand, there are astrologers out there who feel that the number eight represents destruction.  My finances are a pile of rubble.  Job prospects are few & far between.  I don't think my life can be any more destroyed - scratch that because I could be living in Iraq and that would kinda suck.

Everything does happen for a reason.  I'm going to look back on these times and say to myself, Self, I made it through.  

It too shall pass.